Following on the success of the earlier J Carranza Pool Project, neighbors across the street invited us to start a pool for them.  As the homeowner is a water aerobics instructor, this pool is designed specifically for that purpose.
After one week excavation is complete...
Note the drain manifold under the rebar.

The floor drain is extended out for later connection.

Finishing the forms on a Saturday morning Tino's son Otmar is along to lend a hand.
Monday afternoon finds the forms stripped.
We're building the bench from brick, which will be plastered with impermeable cement.  
The floor plastered...
This concludes week 3 of the project.
We're ready to start finishing off the surrounding surfaces.
We've placed half rounds of PVC tubing to form a bull-nose to deflect water back into the pool.
Week 5 begins with color choices and the decision to add a nice set of steps up to the rear deck.
This colorant formula is the 4th generation of the product we used on the first J Carranza pool project and has been improved for ease of application and for consistency in density and color.   It is available in a wide variety of hues and can be used in many applications, not just pools.
A rare rainy December Thursday afternoon reveals the Compass Rose - a truly delightful way to accent an anti-vortex drain.
We also redid the iron protection for the utility porch.
We've been on hold for a month waiting for this bad boy to be fabricated in Guadalajara.  Can you see where we're going with this?
The house side roller arm is attached.
The rest of the fence begins to take shape...
We're finally ready to attach the big belt to the mechanism.
The crossbar is quite heavy so care is needed.
The debris from the tree will dump off into the vacant lot rather than into the pool!
The following day shows the bottom section of the fence in place.
Our client makes very tasty color choices!
On February 1 the first "pipa", or water truck arrives at a vacant lot on the next street over.  This is the same place the cement pumper used.
This is a family operation...
This murky brew will settle out as the clarifying agent we added takes effect overnight.
Here's Pat with her vacuum.

We're leveling the patio for nice new tiles.
Here's the new cover in place.
Note the elevated pressure tank so we could grout under it.
New aluminum doors for the equipment room keep the pump sounds down.
6 - 20' x 2' panels can be traded for 6 - 10'x 4' panels depending on shipping method.
Note the simple but elegant tie down method.
79° F at 8:00 in the morning, in the shade, without a pool cover, in mid February.
Here's the brain behind the systemThis economical solar pool heater cost less than $2500US installed.  This one pencils out...
and we fine tune the elevations.
After excavating we lay down a 2" concrete slab for a base.
The steel is in and the return manifold is placed.
We start the forms.
The pumper arrives late Saturday afternoon.  We elected to work late to start Monday with cement sufficiently cured to strip the forms.
At 8 in the evening we're just finishing up the pour.  We started this project two weeks ago.
Plastering and outer walls commence.
Note the cutouts for the two skimmers.
The main power supply conduit will be filled over.
we move on to building the equipment room.
Week 4 starts with channel for the new 8 gauge wire to supply 240 volt service from the load center to the pool.
Lots of conduit to supply ambient lighting.
Service boxes are in place.
The final form appears and we're ready for finishes.  This is Friday of week 4!
The end of week 5 finds the colorant applied to the interior sides and to the bench.  Note the mottled color as the plasticized cement colorant cures. 

Tuesday of week 6 finds the floor of the pool done, the contrasting deck color starting and the layout of the distinctive "Compass Rose" decoration.

Here is the beginning of our most excellent contraption!  And the reason for the delay.  We can't go ahead without it.   A hint:  There's a really big tree overhead...
We had to bring the long steel pieces over the neighbor's roof.
The outboard side roller arm is in place and painted.
with chain link panels to allow light and support flowering vines.
The control room is taking shape.
The first shot of the wet stuff!
It's amazing how much manganese and iron is in our water here.  This is what we find in our household filters.  It's not at all toxic but it sure clogs up the works!
A new cover for the cistern.
These 50cm (20") porcelain tiles were chosen by our client.  They are a great pick as they have a hint of turquoise to match the pool.
We're very happy with the economical and efficient solar heating system our clients imported from the States
We painted the supply and return tubes black to enhance solar gain.
Temperature sensors at left and above and the mixing manifold.
And 82° F at 2:00 in the afternoon the same day.
Always inventive, we figured out a way to install an overlooked cover plate as part of our "punch list" of final touches.  That's Tino suspended over the wet stuff!

Make a free website with Yola